[Woodworkers] Fwd: Re: Composite roof replacement

Steve Bigelow via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Mon Jan 23 20:16:09 PST 2017

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone.

I've got a roofing contractor coming out on Wednesday to give me a damage
estimate.

My wife was supposed to call the insurance company today and play the "dumb
female" role. She's still at work, so I don't know how that went.

A few months ago my truck was totalled by a falling tree on my property,
and my shop roof was also damaged. I know when they paid out on the shop
roof, they only gave a fraction of the replacement cost because it was 10
years old. On the other hand, they gave me quite a bit of money to replace
a broken truss (estimate involved bringing a crane on site, along with a
structural engineer). It was only broken from the point where the roof
meets the wall, and out. A sistered 2x6 fixed it up quite nicely, and cost
me about $0, since I had one on hand that was salvaged from another project.

Side story on the truck. It was a 2003 Silverado LT 2500 HD crew cab with
the 8.1L gas engine and the Allison 6 speed transmission. Every option
available on the interior, customized computer settings, level ride kit,
air bags in the rear for tow height adjustment, custom 1/2 ton rated
sliding bed, custom canopy, oversized offroad tires with 92% tread left.
Almost impossible to find, and it has (had) more pulling power than even
the diesel version. Only 104,000 miles on the odometer, perfect condition
inside and out. It was my baby. The insurance company offered me $14,400
for it at one point. Many email exchanges later, and they paid out just
over $21,000. I put about 10 hours into researching the value, so that was
time well spent. Icing on the cake is that I paid $18,000 for 7 years /
40,000 miles ago. :-).

Since I haven't replaced the truck yet, I now know where that money will be
spent.

Regards,
-Steve
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com