[Woodworkers] Composite roof replacement

Steve Bigelow via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sat Jan 21 18:01:17 PST 2017

Slightly off topic, but I just went up into the attic in my house and
realized that the roof is desperately in need of replacement. Honestly, if
I waited any longer, I'd have to start replacing the sheathing.

The question is, should I rip off the old and replace, or just roof over
existing? Existing is about 15 years old and completely shot. It's the only
layer on the roof.

Keep in mind it's the middle of winter, so not exactly the most pleasant
time to replace the roofing. If I need a total tear-off, I'll let a pro do
it, and probably replace a few sheets of sheathing. Roofing over the
existing, I can handle that over a few weekends.

The other question is if roofing over, do I put down new tar paper?
Existing is leaking.

I'll be doing some research on my own, but the collective wisdom here is
something I can trust.

Regards,
-Steve
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com