[Woodworkers] Christmas present help needed!!

gcw804 at aol.com gcw804 at aol.com
Sun Dec 17 16:05:08 PST 2017

So I have questions: What happened? Is it the temperature fluctuations (and does 9 degrees really make a difference in warping)? But most importantly, what do I do now? I have less than a week to finish. I could do again with new 2x4’s but I’m not comfortable I wouldn’t have the same issue. As I send this I’m going back out to unclamp from the bench but I don’t expect it to stay flat.

Chuck,

If time permits, I try to let any wood that I bring into my shop acclimate for 2 weeks before trying to mill it. 2x4's are usually made from some of the youngest trees, and therefore are mostly sapwood. I use a lot of Southern Yellow Pine, and I usually buy 2x8's - 2x12's. I look for close, straight grain, and this way you are getting a lot of heartwood, which is generally mopre stable. Once I'm ready to mill them, I will rip them down to an inch or so oversized and chop them into lengths that are oversized too. Then, I proceed to rough mill them. I let them sit for a couple of days stickered too. Then I finish the milling process. The other issue that you run into, is there is a lot of stress in wood, which normally presents itself with twisting.

A couple of questions.

Did you flatten them on a jointer to start with?

Did you alternate the grain during the glue up, to help offset the warping tendencies?

Did you clamp cauls along the width on both ends while the glue was drying. This will help to keep them flat as well?

If I can be of any additional help, call me on my cell (804) 514-3750. Eastern Time

Good Luck.

Gary Williams