[Woodworkers] Chain Saw Log Art

Chuck Steger via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Thu Oct 27 11:16:04 PDT 2016

A couple weeks ago, I purchased a chain saw log art piece (whimsical
Christmas tree) at a local crafts fair. It stands about 3 ½ feet tall and
the largest diameter is 13 inches. It was painted from top to bottom with 2
coats of poly on it when I purchased it. I knew he didn’t do that at the
crafts fair but didn’t know when it was done. It has cracks in it but that
is to be expected from a carved log.

I took it home and was moving it around on my deck trying to decide where I
liked it. I noticed that whenever I moved it, there was a damp spot where it
had been. Sure enough, the bottom was not treated and clearly had not
finished drying. I took it into the shop, mounted it upside down on some saw
horses and proceeded to treat the bottom with poly. I had a pint of wipe on
poly that was about ¾ full. It soaked up the whole can. I also noticed that
the crack at the top (since it was upside down) leaked poly so the crack
runs through the whole log. I will, at some point, pour epoxy down the
larger cracks to help keep the log in tack as long as possible. It will sit
under a covered deck (so out of the elements) but the deck is not climate
controlled.

So, finally, to the questions:

1.    For the epoxy – when is “at some point”? If I do it now, the log is
still drying, will that be an issue? Could the epoxy act as a wedge and
split the log further?

2.    Should I wait until late spring/early summer to let it dry more?

3.    Should I wait until the log dries completely? I know the old adage is
1 year for every inch and I realize the tree is tapered (so not full 13
inches) but is that 6 or 7 years or a couple years (gets hot here for
Arkansas summers)? Will that be too late (log split beyond repair)?

  Thanks for the help. Haven’t dealt with a whole log situation before.

Chuck