[Woodworkers] I followed the directions really I did.......

John McCaskill via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Jun 29 19:34:36 PDT 2016

Tolerances play a major role. You never get parts exactly the nominal size.
But even if both parts were exactly 5.000" diameter, it would be a press
fit. You'd have to move some metal out of the way.

So you always have to leave some clearance. On a 5" dia part, you'd need to
leave .010-.020" minimum. On a rig intended for stabbing together 1500'
below the surface of the water, it would need to be even more.

I was going to buy a book on phobias, but I was afraid it wouldn't help me.