[Woodworkers] So I was gifted this bar.

Joe Johns via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sun Feb 28 05:58:16 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Doug Whitson wrote:

I made an observation that all of the cracked/damaged woods are walnut.

​Ohh, that is walnut for sure.​

Do you think our builder may have used wet walnut?

​That's what I'm thinking.

> If so, I would feel much better about filling the cracks.

Seeing what I see, ​I'm fairly certain the wood done all the shrinking it
can do.​

> I have some 4/4 walnut that I could cut into strips and put in instead of
> filler in some of the worst offenders.  I don’t kid myself that I can match
> what’s in there but thought that might be a better way to go than just
> epoxy.

​I recommend using tinted bondo - I managed to use oil-based enamel (gloss
black) paint that worked well - but I understand you can get tints for it,
too (maybe ask NAPA or a body shop?).​

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"