[Woodworkers] So I was gifted this bar.

Doug via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Thu Feb 25 05:04:21 PST 2016

My girlfriends family decided that considering my health, they would get together and give me a bar. They found this at the Brass Armadillo and as you can see, it is in less than stellar condition. I had to remove the top coat so my buddy could run the top through the big timesaver sander where he works.  Naturally I had to strip the front if I ever hoped to make them match.  This is a homemade piece and I’m sure the guy/girl put a lot of time into making it but unfortunately just wasn’t quite there when it came to wood choices.  I have many large cracks I need to deal with.  He/she even put bondo in one section.  Before I saw how bad the cracks were I had thought of using epoxy and India ink to fill the gaps. I plan to make this much darker (dark walnut) to make it try to match the pieces in the place it is going.
My question is, since I have so many cracks to deal with, should I change my strategy and go with a filler or stick with the black epoxy?

---