[Woodworkers] I like to brag too!

Dick Merryman dicko at wormhole.com
Tue Dec 20 18:03:13 PST 2016

Gary,

Thank you.

I agonized over how to mount the panels for a long time.  I wanted to avoid
any visible gap between the panels and the frame but at the same time I
wanted to allow for changes in humidity.  I read many articles but never did
find a recommendation that I liked.

Finally, I took the easy way: rationalization.  I reasoned that the maple
was 15 years old and the Padauk was at least 10 years old so they were
sufficiently climatized.  I further reasoned that here in the desert our
humidity varies from about 7% to about 15% which is a narrow range.  I
decided that wood movement wasn't going to be a problem!!!!!

I cut the panels to lock tightly within the frames when assembled and then
used a single drop of glue on two opposing edges of the panels to hold them
in the frames.

I've probably violated all of the laws of wood working by doing this but I
have faith that it will work.  Only time (and a change of seasons) will
tell.  I'll let you all know how they fair.

                -Dick-

P.S.  When I take the tables on my museum tour they'll probably blow apart
once I leave the desert.  I'll blame it on terrorists.