[Woodworkers] Fwd: pricing help - Folowup

via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Tue Oct 20 07:14:54 PDT 2015

I sent out this email about a month ago about how to price turning a two part column base. Both Rick and Roger responded with different approaches to pricing..

So I thought I would send a follow up about the outcome.

My friend, who I turned the pieces for had a major heart attack, and has been sidelined. He called me a week or so ago from the hospital to let me know what was going on. At that time, he brought up the pricing issue.

Using Rick's formula, it came out to $84.00 for both pieces. Roger had said he would charge $75.00 -$100.00 per piece.

Even though he understood Rick's logic, which by the way made a lot of sense to me because it was a tangible approach, he thought it was too low. I fully understand what Roger was saying about the value of pricing shop time and effort accordingly and not looking back. That approach makes a lot of business since.

Since it took me longer than it should have because of my inexperience in turning, I was uneasy with charging top dollar for the effort.

I don't think a customer should pay for my learning curve.

Both my friend, and his, now my client, were ecstatic with the results.

So the client sent me a check for $200.00.

Thanks again for the help. This list is great!!

Gary Williams