[Woodworkers] Marcia's Pantry

Joe Johns via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Wed Nov 25 11:21:11 PST 2015

Now, I know what y'all are thinking...it sounds like it ought to be one of
the cooking shows on the Food Network but it really is a pantry, a pantry
cabinet.

It was delivered to the shop but sat on the west workbench for a couple
days until I got around to looking it over and my first words were, "Holy
moly, this thing might have came across the country by covered wagon but it
damn sure wasn't riding in the back of it, it was being dragged behind it
the whole way!"

It was all beat up; parts and pieces missing, hunks taken out of various
places and water damage to name a few of its ailments.  However, the worst
atrocity it had endured over its years was receiving a most tenacious coat
of paint.  This stuff was unlike any I have ever stripped.  But, I
eventually won the battle and I know one thing for sure, whoever made it
had to have been breaking some kind of law.

Sections had to be cut away and removed then the replacement parts were
milled, failed glue joints addresses and new paint applied where she wanted
it.  The other sections were pickle stained and three coats of a satin
lacquer sprayed on.  I made an executive decision and pickle stained
portions immediately behind the door section so that the painted cubby hole
part would jump out at you.

Underneath the hideous paint was gorgeous white oak and flame white oak
making up the tambour door and the upper cornice.

That is all.

​
​
​

--
Joe,
The Twisted Knot Woodshop, "There's never been a classier joint"