[Woodworkers] It's been a long time since ...

Scott Rohan-Smith via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sat Nov 7 09:38:59 PST 2015

Rock and Roll? No, woodworking.

Life has been, well, life. I haven’t done any real woodworking for at least 2 years. My shop turned back into a garage, actually more of a storage unit and I just haven’t done anything about it. Until now. I’ve got the storage unit turned back into a shop (still have a few areas to clean up but it’s in working condition again). And it feels really good to be back!

So I wanted to start out with a small project that would be fun and something that I’ve wanted to do for a while. I’ve continued to cook and bake over the past 2 years and I’ve decided I really like using a French style of rolling pin over the flat style. And I am about ¾ Irish married to an Irish/Scottish lassie, so I decided I’d turn a French style rolling pin with that Celtic knot thingy in it. I’ve done some research on it and watched a couple of videos, including Joe’s.

I’ve got my blank ready – it’s 2 pieces of 5/4 cherry glued together to make a 2 ¼” x 2 ¼” x 22” long piece. And I’ve got my insert pieces glued up – a sandwich consisting of 2 pieces of purple heart with a maple center. This glue up is 7/16” thick. So I’m about to make my 1st cut. I have a tablesaw sled with a stop set at 20 degrees (for a 70 degree cut). I know the 1st cut can just be done and I’ve got a glue up jig all ready to go to glue the pieces together and keep everything nice and straight. But I’m curious about the 2nd cut – since my insert is 7/16” thick do I need to remove 7/16” material so that all of the insert pieces will match up correctly? Nobody has mentioned having to do that in their videos or write ups but I don’t want to start up my woodworking hobby with a screw up right away.

Any help would be appreciated. Even non-Irish can reply. J

Smitty aka Scott Rohan-Smith

Missoula, Montana

Doh! A beer, I want a beer

Ray, the guy who buys me beer

Me, the guy whom Ray buys beer

Fa, a long way to go for a beer

So, I think I’ll have a beer

La, La la la la la la

Ti, No thanks I’ll have a beer

And that will bring us back to Doh! Doh! Doh!