[Woodworkers] Sun protection for redwood?

Doug via Woodworkers woodworkers at lists.sawdusters.org
Sun Jun 28 09:32:40 PDT 2015

Hi All, Happy Sunday J

I have been elected to "finish" one of the little redwood bridges that some
buy from magazines or online.  It's surprisingly well built but is otherwise
pretty rough.  At any rate, the GF's Mother ask that I coat it with
something to protect it from the sun and what little rain we get.  I have
only worked with redwood once be fore.  I built a 16' X 16' pergola from
2x8, it came out well.  It was beautiful, I clear coated it with spar
varnish and the held for a while.  While I was gone on a business trip the X
wife painted it to match the house so I really don't have a good idea if
that was going to do the trick.  Now I'm faced with trying to clear coat
this little bridge.  Any suggestions?  I was thinking of a good coat of
mineral oil and follow up with varnish or urethane?  This sun is brutal and
I don't know of any clear coat that offers a uv protection.

---